Tuesday, February 4, 2014

The Battle Royale Between Me and My Mind

Whenever I am describing personal growth to someone I always use a physical analogy: 
Just as we work out the muscles in our bodies, we must work out the muscle of our mind. Just as we have muscle memory and habituated patterns in movement (the way we sit, stand, hold our shoulders), we have habituated patterns in the way we think and feel. 

If we want something different in our life we need to think and feel differently. The muscle has to tear if its going to grow.

Currently I am struggling with my growth. I have been feeling very low energy (a mixture of sad and angry) for the last two weeks. For some reason I cannot put my finger on what in me is driving these feelings. What am I believing? How am I perceiving the world that is causing this feeling?
 
I have felt very unsuccessful and defeated. I also have a voice in my head that keeps saying, "Who cares? Trying to discover what is going on with you in this way is a self-indulgent waste of time." 

AND that won't stop me. I may be feeling low, but when I started this journey I made a commitment to master my emotions. I am dedicated to the work I do, and if I give up.... then how will I serve someone else in pushing past the discomfort of facing what causes their own personal suffering? This is the Battle Royale between Me and My Mind. I encourage you to place your bets now because I am pulling out to win.

Here is a video Nike created that speaks about the nagging voice we all have that gives us permission to take the easy road. The one that convinces us to give up. Although the message in the video is talking about pushing yourself physically, it really speaks to me in terms of the development I am doing emotionally and spiritually. 
 
I hope you enjoy it. I wish you the ability to drown out the voice of uncertainty with the sound of your own heart.

 

Stay tuned. There will be updates on the Battle Royale soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment